I saw this on someone else's blog. No-one's tagged me with it, but I liked it. And if you can't be pushy about sharing your opinions on the web, where can you be?
The 99 things meme
Things you’ve already done: bold
Things you want to do: italicize
Things you haven’t done and don’t want to - leave in plain font
1. Started your own blog.
Obviously. Well, I really did start it myself.
2. Slept under the stars.
As long as tents count, but not otherwise.
3. Played in a band.
A stretch. Pretended to play in my Sunday School band: this got me out of singing. Although I was supposed to have learned the recorder at school, I wasn't very good and I soon learned that I was less disruptive not actually blowing into the instrument. No further ambitions in this direction.
4. Visited Hawaii.
There are nice beaches where I live.
5. Watched a meteor shower.
Way cool.
6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
As wonderful as that sounds, I think it's counterproductive.
7. Been to Disneyland/world.
Over-hyped. I'd go somewhere that's all about the rides, not the characters. Nothing wrong with scary rides, though!
8. Climbed a mountain.
But one with a great view, not the kind that kills a few people every year.
9. Held a praying mantis.
These are great insects. My garden needs more of them.
10. Sang a solo.
It'd be fun, but I want a lot of practice first.
11. Bungee jumped.
I'd rather sky-dive; bungee jumping puts serious stress on your eyes and brain. I need mine.
12. Visited Paris.
Visiting cities isn't really my thing.
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea.
I'm surprised I've never done this. I want a sturdy boat, though.
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch.
One day I will compose some music; something for a synthesizer to play.
15. Adopted a child.
I would only inflict my parenting skills on one of my own.
16. Had food poisoning.
Never, that I'm aware of. Others have, and that's enough for me.
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
Nice view, I imagine, and I'd do it if I were ever in New York... but not an essential.
18. Grown your own vegetables.
Everyone should do this, if only to gain insight into how tough life is for farmers.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.
Over-rated. It's a good painting, but it's a painting.
20. Slept on an overnight train.
I've fallen asleep on a commuter train. That'll have to do.
21. Had a pillow fight.
Who has not?
22. Hitch hiked.
I will plan to walk all the way, or I will organize my own transport.
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill.
My ambition is to take more sick days when I am ill.
24. Built a snow fort.
... but only if I find myself somewhere snowy.
25. Held a lamb.
Two of my uncles were farmers.
26. Gone skinny dipping.
27. Run a marathon.
I'd have to be a lot fitter than I am.
28. Ridden a gondola in Venice.
Seen pictures. Didn't look exciting.
29. Seen a total eclipse.
Yes, thanks to my geek parents. I was very young, though, and only just understood what was happening.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.
And who has not?
31. Hit a home run.
I'm going to claim this one, because I scored the winning goal in a soccer grand final and I think that's just as good.
32. Been on a cruise.
Seems like a fun thing to do, although I'd want one with a lot of scenery. A river perhaps?
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person.
I have photos to prove it. Which is good, because I don't remember it at all. I was one.
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors.
But only going back about five generations.
35. Seen an Amish community.
I've seen pictures.
36. Taught yourself a new language.
I'm assuming computer languages don't count.
37.Had enough money to be truly satisfied.
All it would take is just a little bit more. Actually, I've been pretty close for a lot of my life.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.
I've seen pictures.
39. Gone rock climbing.
Well worth it.
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David in person.
See "Mona Lisa".
41. Sung Karaoke.
See "Singing Solo".
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.
See "Leaning Tower of Pisa".
43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant.
Actually, it's more that I'd like to find a stranger that I thought needed it, and actually do it.
44. Visited Africa.
Tourism just isn't my thing, is it?
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.
Many holidays at the beach.
46. Been transported in an ambulance.
More trouble than it's worth.
47. Had your portrait painted.
I had a silhouette cut, but that's as far as it goes. I have many photos, and that's a far superior technology.
48. Gone deep sea fishing.
Rather go coastal sight-seeing. Fishing is fine, but not an ambition.
49. Seen the Sistine chapel in person.
No, I'm just not a tourist.
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
I have seen photos of the view. It's splendid.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkelling.
For my birthday. Great fun.
52. Kissed in the rain.
53. Played in the mud.
Whenever I could, as a child.
54. Gone to a drive-in theatre.
Back when they still existed.
55. Been in a movie.
Only if I actually cared about the movie, though. I've been on TV a couple of times... if you look carefully.
56. Visited the Great Wall of China.
Still not a tourist.
57. Started a business.
More as an exercise than a real career, though.
58. Taken a martial arts class
I am a yellow belt. This is not a very scary qualification.
59. Visited Russia.
What's with the tourism?
60. Served at a soup kitchen.
61. Sold Girl Scout cookies.
Scout job week, which I'll claim is the same. Hated it. Rather work than sell.
62. Gone whale watching.
Although I suspect I would be disappointed.
63. Gotten flowers for no reason.
64. Donated blood.
Many times.
65. Gone sky diving.
Oh yes. Glorious.
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.
I would think that much more worthwhile than the Great Wall etc. Although (because) the memories would stay a lot longer.
67. Bounced a cheque.
Accidentally - when I moved the funds in to cover it, I forgot to hit confirm. D'Oh!
68. Flown in a helicopter.
I love aerial transport.
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy.
From what?
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.
...etc.
71. Eaten Caviar.
Yuck.
72. Pieced a quilt.
Not my thing.
73. Stood in Times Square.
74. Toured the Everglades.
75. Been fired from a job.
I think the owner actually thought I was involved in stealing cigarettes. I make a lousy 7-11 attendant.
76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.
77. Broken a bone.
Never! To my surprise, it's not like I've lacked for opportunity.
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle.
For some values of "speeding". Faster than I was entirely comfortable with, considering the track state and the security of my grip.
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.
80. Published a book.
This is very unlikely to ever happen; I'm a much better reader than a writer. But a man's reach should exceed his grasp, as they say.
81. Visited the Vatican.
Too much risk of providing revenue for them.
82. Bought a brand new car.
I may one day do this, but it's not an ambition, and all my cars so far have been second-hand.
83. Walked in Jerusalem.
I would rather read in the paper that they'd stopped killing each other.
84. Had your picture in the newspaper.
Don't think so. Don't really care.
85. Read the entire Bible.
All but Psalms and Proverbs. Turned me decisively away from Christianity as a religion.
86. Visited the White House.
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating.
Fish.
88. Had chickenpox.
Too young to remember, thankfully.
89. Saved someone’s life.
Only if you count giving blood.
90. Sat on a jury.
I would be interested by that, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "want".
91. Met someone famous.
I went to school with a (now) well-known standup comic.
92. Joined a book club.
I think these are mostly ways to shovel out low selling books. I have never lacked motivation to read.
93. Lost a loved one.
The only people who do not, die young or friendless. But who actually wants to?
94. Had a baby.
95. Seen the Alamo in person.
96. Swum in the Great Salt Lake.
97. Been involved in a law suit.
My initial reaction was "No, no, no", but I'd love to provide a piece of the puzzle to knock off some bogus lawsuit. I just don't want to be plaintiff or defendant - our legal system isn't remotely trustworthy enough for that.
98. Owned a cell phone.
99. Been stung by a bee.
I once thought I had, but hindsight (and the lack of symptoms) tells me I just trod on the bee and we both ran for our lives.
This list needs fewer tourist items.
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment