Imagine what you could do if your credit limit was increased. You could take the holiday you've been thinking about, buy those clothes you've had your eye on or treat you and your family to something special.
If it were just the limit on my card that was the problem, I could deposit some extra cash onto it, taking me into surplus; and then buy whatever it was I wanted. Can't be that. So it must be that I don't have that cash, and they would like me to buy stuff anyway. What they do not mention anywhere on this form (even in the fine print) is the exhorbitant interest rate that I would be paying for "that holiday" that I've been thinking about.
In other words, they are hoping I don't really understand how credit cards work; they don't think I'm very smart. Well thanks, Mr Credit Card Provider. In return, I suggest that you understand exactly how credit cards work - but you are amoral and indifferent to anything beyond accumulating more money.
This is of course how corporations work. But it doesn't really match the cuddly image they like to project in the media. I have an amorphous rant in my head about this which I hope to polish sometime soon. And I prefer not to have my intelligence insulted in personally addressed form; it's bad enough seeing ads for Reality TV shows.
In the meantime, I sometimes wonder if it should be compulsory to take a simple maths exam (calculators permitted) before getting credit of any kind.
No comments:
Post a Comment