Saturday, March 21, 2015

Religious intolerance is always a bad idea

Via Jerry Coyne, I learn of this ridiculous decision in Myanmar: three people have been sentenced to jail time for "insulting religion". Their crime? This advertising poster for a bar:

This has two effects. Firstly, it makes a lot of people (including me) aware of the poster that otherwise would not have been. Secondly, it makes Myanmar and its Buddhist community look oppressive and insecure. I am less likely to visit the country, and I lose a little bit of respect for the religion.

Chances are that this is the local regime trying to cling to power by sucking up to religious extremists. You could say that this is better than killing and torturing their opponents, and you'd be right - but it's worse than running a proper democracy. It also means that there is a Buddhist extremist constituency to suck up to, which is sad.

I say to the Myanmar government: cancel this sentence. Defend your culture by promoting it, not by silencing people who adapt it.

No comments: