Friday, June 13, 2008

Imagine Fair Use

Unlike PZ Myers, I had no mixed feelings about Yoko Ono's lawsuit against the makers of Expelled. While Expelled is by (almost) all accounts a rather ugly mess of rubbish, using a quick grab of Imagine seemed like pretty fair use to me; the lyrics are pretty germane to their argument (even if admitting that does put a hole in their claim to be all about science).

I didn't want them to lose that particular lawsuit partly because it would allow them to play martyr, which would distract people from thinking about what they were actually saying; and I didn't want some big music company getting another win in their war on the general public.

So I was happy to see Lawrence Lessig get involved; and I was happy to see them win.

Remember, just because they're bad guys doesn't mean they're always wrong, and it doesn't mean they're not entitled to the same freedoms as the rest of us.

No comments: