Thursday, January 17, 2008

Commonsense Prevails

Recent news says that Sony is dropping the DRM from its downloads. As Wired put it:
"The report that Sony BMG is moving to DRM-free downloads represents the music industry's white-flag concession that its copyright-protection scheme created a powerhouse in Apple's iTunes Store while failing to combat piracy. "

And I might add, annoyed its customers no end. It's now more than two years (so long already?) since Sony wore out my patience and I publically shook my tiny fist at them. In that time I've had several occasions where a piece of Sony electronics has looked like the best choice, except that I had no interest in giving them my money.

I'm pleased to welcome them back into the fold; Sony often make good stuff, and let us not forget their championing of the VCR. Let's hope they remember this experience and stop trying to hold back the internet age. People like music; they want music; they're prepared to pay for music; but once they've paid for it they want it to just play on their gear. And if the record companies will make the intellectual effort to sell it to them that way, there will be money in it.

I'm about to pay a couple of hundred for a set of good quality closed headphones so I can listen to music at work without hearing the glad cries of my co-workers on conference calls. Imagine my annoyance if I had to buy a pair to match each music company's format.

No comments: